Worship at The Hope Center this past month has been really amazing. Wes Lobo, my husband Larry & I have been playing music on Tuesdays, and Terry Smith, Larry & I play on Fridays. I've hit a couple of Thursdays also. What has been amazing about playing during our homeless meals is that when we just set our perfectionism and egos aside and just be obedient to God, He does great things. They might not be GREAT to the outside world. But small victories add up!
Last week God gave me a song in response to my prayer of frustration. I was singing "Revelation Song" on a Thursday morning and I couldn't help but wonder how many of the people there really understood or even KNEW God in that same way. Would they say ANY of those words? Words that seem so familiar to a regular Christian...but mean nothing to someone who doesn't know the Lord. Many of those homeless people have to fight daily just to survive on the streets. They struggle with addictions, untreated mental illnesses, stigmas and just downright mean people who think they don't deserve to live. What would THEY say to God in light of how they see Christians and Christianity? My guess is that they just don't feel good enough. They probably feel like they don't measure up to the standard Christians seem to set.
So as I sat at home wrestling with God over this, He gave me a song to share. I shared it the next day along with the story of how it happened and it moved on people's hearts. Men who I KNEW have untreated mental illnesses and addictions were raising their hands, crying and worshipping God...the same one, by the way, that I worship.
That beats Spirit West Coast, making CD's or being "known" any day.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment